Monday, July 11, 2011

Investing in Belize - Getting Started

It all sounds great - buy a piece of property in Paradise, enjoy it and make some money - but what do you DO to get started?

1.  Make a budget.   Sounds obvious, but most people start out asking how much things cost and then think about whether they can afford them.  Do yourself a favor and think about money before you stand on the beach or on a mountaintop and fall in love with a place.  Assume that you have already learned all the legal stuff and are comfortable with the idea of buying.  How much cash do you have today for investment?  Do you have a reliable cash-flow from work or other investments that would allow you to make ongoing payments on a property?   Answer each question before you go shopping.   You can always revise your budget down (or up if you win the lottery) later.  

2.  Define your goals.  Don't make yourself crazy with this, but do have some idea of what you'd like to do.  Do you want to invest in something you can use today for income and vacations?  If so, a condo or home are suitable.    Do you want to spend a little today hoping it will grow over time?  If so, perhaps a parcel of vacant land is the thing to look for.  Are you looking for a place to live longer term?  If so, make a list of things you "must have" in a daily life situation. 

3.  Book a trip to Belize.  Don't overdo the "research trip" idea.  Pick one or two places that appeal to you most and spend several days there.   If you feel at home someplace then realize you ARE home, and concentrate your property search there.  

4.  Locate a realtor who lives and works in the area you are interested in.  Develop a rapport with them.  Tell them about #1 & #2 above.  Without that information they can't help you.    The idea of finding something on your own in a place where you don't live is not practical, and in the end could cost you dearly.  Professionals do exist here, and the ones with good reputations have earned the trust and loyalty of their clients.  

5.  When you find something you like and can afford - buy it.  Use your head as much as your heart when making a choice.  In the end the property that has "emotional appeal" is going to be the most fun to own, and the easiest to re-sell if/when you choose to do so.  Don't buy ugly, and don't buy junky.  If your search parameters are realistic, your realtor should be able to find you a property meeting your needs without too much trouble.  If it's not there at the time, they will tell you.

Watch for the next installment dealing with step #5 above - "Buy It" -  How do you safely and sanely proceed?  We'll deal with several kinds of properties and what kind of questions you should ask, what contingencies you should demand, and what kind of legal services you may require. 


3 comments:

  1. If you had financial problems, then it is time for you to smile. You only need to contact Mr. Benjamin  with the amount you wish to borrow and the payment period that suits you and you will have your loan in less than 48 hours. I just benefited for the sixth time a loan of 700 thousand dollars for a period of 180 months with the possibility of paying before the expiration date. Make contact with him and you will see that he is a very honest man with a good heart.His email is lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com and his WhatApp phone number is + 1-989-394-3740 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello everyone, I'm Patricia Sherman in Oklahoma USA right now. I would like to share with you my experience of borrowing USD $185,000.00 to clear my bank draft and start a new business. It all started when I lost my house and I took my stuff because of the bank policy and I met some bills and some personal needs. So I became very desperate and started looking for funds in every way. Fortunately for me, a friend of mine, Linda told me about a credit company firm, I was intrigued by the fraud, but I was intrigued by my situation and had no choice but to get advice from my friend about this company. contacting them really doubted me because of my past experience with online lenders, did you know that little? '' Elegantloanfirm@hotmail.com This company has been very helpful to me and my colleague and today, thanks to this credit company, the proud owner of well-organized work and responsibilities, they smiled back at me. So if you really need to grow or start your own business, or if you really need to borrow money in any financial hardship, we recommend you find a financial development opportunity in your business today. {E-mail:} Elegantloanfirm@hotmail.com ... online for credit not a victim of scam. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Loan Fund worked extensively with me to help me anticipate some of the issues that my business may face. Not many lenders would go to that length. They’ve been extremely supportive and a great resource.
    Working with Mr Pedro helped me develop my business plan, ideas and brand before getting started, so I was prepared to open a successful business when I received my loan from Mr Pedro, a loan officer with a huge heart of honesty.
    Contact Mr Pedro on pedroloanss@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete